Theoretical Discussion: Possible expansion cities and mascots

United Football League (2024) Discussion
steve42
Kicker

Theoretical Discussion: Possible expansion cities and mascots

Post by steve42 »

There has been an interesting discussion over in the Johnston: UFL will return in same eight markets, no expansion for 2025 thread regarding the future, but as we began to get into talks of "what might/should/couldn't" happen, it led me down a research rabbit trail that I felt would better serve the community if I broke it off into a thread of its own.  ​​​​​We had discussed where it might make sense logistically and financially to expand but I want to have some fun with the possibilities.

Below is a list of cities that either currently have a UFL franchise or that were mentioned as good possibilities for future league expansion. I listed mascots that have existed in the cities in previous leagues if they haven't already had a USFL or XFL team. Sorry for the formatting, but tables are hard to make in phpBB. 
Albany                                                Conquest (AF2), Empire (Arena FL MK1)
Arlington                                           Renegades+
Baltimore                                         Stars+
Birmingham                                    Stallions or Thunderbolts
Boston                                               Breakers+
Canton                                               Bulldogs (UFL MK1)
Chicago                                             Blitz or Enforcers
Cleveland                                         Panthers+ (AFL MK1), Rams (AFL MK2), Thunderbolts (ArenaFL MK1) or Gladiators (Arena FL MK2)
Dallas                                                 Renegades
Denver                                                Gold
Detroit (MI)                                      Panthers
E. Rutherford (NJ/NY)                Generals, Guardians+ or Hitmen
Houston                                            Gamblers or Roughnecks
Jacksonville                                    Bulls
Las Vegas                                         Outlaws or Vipers+
Los Angeles                                    Express, Wildcats or Xtreme
Memphis                                          Maniax or Showboats
New Orleans                                  Breakers+
Oakland                                            Invaders
Orlando                                             Guardians+, Rage or Renegades+
Philadelphia                                   Stars+
Phoenix (AZ)                                   Hotshots (AAF) or Wranglers+
Pittsburgh                                        Maulers
Portland                                            Breakers+
San Antonio                                    Gunslingers or Brahmas
San Diego                                         Fleet (AAF) or Riptide (AF2)
San Francisco                               Demons
Seattle                                                Dragons or Sea Dragons
St. Louis                                            Battlehawks
Tampa Bay                                       Bandits or Vipers+
Tempe (AZ)                                      Outlaws+ or Wranglers+
Tulsa                                                    Outlaws+
Washington D.C.                         Defenders or Federals
The + symbols reflect conflicts arising from previous teams having been relocated. I also didn't list team mascots for cities whose former teams moved to the NFL. I did leave in mascots currently represented in the NFL, but that could create a lawsuit so it would be ill-advised.

So, if you could pick four cities/teams to come into the UFL in 2026, which ones would you suggest?  It's fair to suggest bringing back a team but moving them to another city.  Try not to move one of our existing teams; let's give them another year to find their fan base.  I'm trying to make my picks, but stadium availability is definitely a sticky wicket!
Last edited by steve42 on Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Theoretical Discussion: Possible expansion cities and mascots

Post by GDAWG »

Phoenix had the Hotshot of the AAF and Wranglers of the Original USFL.  

Oakland should not be on the UFL's radar until the long term future of the Oakland Coliseum is set in stone.  The USL Oakland Roots and their Women's Team Oakland Soul will play there next year once the A's leave, but after that the future of the Coliseum past 2025 remains unknown at this point.  Until we know the Coliseum's long term future, Oakland should not be considered for the first round of expansion in 2026.  
steve42
Kicker

Post by steve42 »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:43 pm Phoenix had the Hotshot of the AAF and Wranglers of the Original USFL.  

Oakland should not be on the UFL's radar until the long term future of the Oakland Coliseum is set in stone.  The USL Oakland Roots and their Women's Team Oakland Soul will play there next year once the A's leave, but after that the future of the Coliseum past 2025 remains unknown at this point.  Until we know the Coliseum's long term future, Oakland should not be considered for the first round of expansion in 2026.  

That's the downside of dealing with teams and suburbs.  My compiled spreadsheet has both of those teams in Tempe, not Phoenix, and I forgot to include them. I've edited the list.

So, you are obviously a researcher as well.  Can you speculate on which teams you feel would be most viable assuming no surprises from a stadium that previously allowed co-tenants?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

steve42 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:03 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:43 pm Phoenix had the Hotshot of the AAF and Wranglers of the Original USFL.  

That's the downside of dealing with teams and suburbs.  My compiled spreadsheet has both of those teams in Tempe, not Phoenix, and I forgot to include them. I've edited the list.

So, you are obviously a researcher as well.  Can you speculate on which teams you feel would be most viable assuming no surprises from a stadium that previously allowed co-tenants?
San Francisco should be San Jose because Levi's Stadium is in Santa Clara, near San Jose or CEFCU Stadium at San Jose State.  Yes, the Demons played at Oracle Park in XFL 1.0 but that is an active baseball stadium, and I don't see the league playing in an active baseball stadium as that would equal a whole host of new issues.  

MLS Stadiums also cause issues as well because not every MLS stadium may want their fields to get ruined by football and for all we know, Audi Field could be an outlier.  Perfect size yes, but MLS teams may not be as open to the UFL as DC United was.  
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

The expansion cities for 2026 - should there be any - should be in major markets - Eastern likely.

Major Markets
NY/NJ
Philly
TB

Mid Mkts
Orlando
Cleveland/Canton

Outside top-25:
Columbus
R-Durham
Indianapolis
Nashville (more likely a transplant for Memphis if 2025 is a bust).

Smaller:
NOLA
OKC

I'd like 2 Majors, but if 1 is NY/NJ any other would be satisfactory.  A grand slam would be NJ/NJ and Philly or TB. A Home run would be NJ/NJ with either Orlando or Cleveland/Canton.

I think all of this is predicated on another TV deal or major sponsorships.   WB-D being a partner would be a big reason to expand.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Theoretical Discussion: Possible exhttps://uflboard.com/xfl-board/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5536pansion cities and mascot

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

As much as this might make me look like a crank and, well, an angry little fuzz ball... this is kind of a pointless exercise. There's no point in discussing new markets when the UFL flat-out came out and said there won't be any new markets.

I don't agree with it. I think a measured, slow expansion (two teams this year) was necessary to keep the rest of the country outside the eight core markets engaged. Obviously not a indoor-style "let's more than double in size in one offseason" kind of overexpansion but... for a league with a national TV deal, it has a small geographic footprint. Nothing west of Texas. One team, DC, east of Detroit. Nothing in Florida, New York or California, three of the four most populous states in the union. If this league were any smaller it'd be regional.

As for which markets, I said in the other thread my peace. Mid-sized markets, the size that support other major league teams but might have a chip on their shoulder the way St. Louis does. There are three in California alone: Oakland, San Diego and Sacramento. But they have to figure out some way to make it make sense business-wise. In the league's current footprint, you could do Oklahoma City, though you'd probably have to play in Norman, which is oversized to put it mildly. And a team somewhere in Florida, be it Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, St. Petersburg, probably not Orlando since that one seems to be losing its bloom, only makes sense.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Fuzzball...

It's not pointless as 2026 likely brings expansion, and other opportunities... ie more TV partners or sponsors, etc...   The announcement of expansion could very well be pre or during the 2025 season.  The clock is ticking
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The UFL could, in theory, announce expansion this off season but announce that the teams won't begin play until 2026 to give the 2026 teams leeway to build their teams.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Theoretical Discussion: Possible exhttps://uflboard.com/xfl-board/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5536pansion cities and mascot

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:48 pm But they have to figure out some way to make it make sense business-wise. 
This is your answer right here as to why there's no expansion for year two. This is a league that, while backed by big money in Fox and RedBird, has shown us over and over with their actions that they're not going to go broke trying to make spring football work. Despite the leagues joining forces, they're still running out of the Arlington hub, putting head coaches and other league personnel on seasonal contracts, running a skeleton crew in terms of operations in these cities, even reducing game day rosters such that TEs almost had to play offensive line this year so that they could save on player pay, all in an effort to save $$. 

Would it be great if the expanded in year two? Sure. As you've pointed out, it would increase the league's footprint and potentially provide more revenue streams. But it would also cost a lot more money, which takes me back to the part of your post I quoted. Ownership is obviously easing into this league very carefully and in a calculated way when it comes to financials. I think the best-case scenario is expanding by two after 2025.

Mike Mitchell has often talked about that being THE year that's going to give an idea of whether this is a true long-term proposition. If ownership decides to walk away after year two, they'd like to be able to do so without flushing too much cash down the drain. No one likes to talk about that, but for as successful as this year was in certain metrics, I don't think we're out of the woods yet. 
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:27 pm The UFL could, in theory, announce expansion this off season but announce that the teams won't begin play until 2026 to give the 2026 teams leeway to build their teams.
Agreed. The earlier the better, quite frankly, since the XFL/UFL has never truly felt ahead of the game when it comes to announcing things. The problem is, ownership may not know whether they're ready to expand as a league (read: ready to spend the $$ to do so) until after next season. 
@gregmparks