UFL Draft

United Football League (2024) Discussion
Alphagridiron
Rookie

UFL Draft

Post by Alphagridiron »

Great opportunity for the UFL to gain exposure in the off-season. Will the UFL draft be streamed live? The CFL draft was broadcasted in Canada. 

I am working on a concept for the UFL to be able to show the draft Live keep cost down and bring excitement to the league. 

Have the draft mid week after NFL regular season.

Go back to an old NFL draft model holding the Draft with the entire league at a hotel conference center. 

Make 80 profiles of guys eligible and interested in being drafted. With 1min  video clips and picture and play info. 

5 min between picks in rd 1-2 
4 mins in rd 3-4
3 mins in rd 4-8 

total time being 4hrs if every team using every min for every pick. More like 3hrs for the entire draft. FS1 coverage or ESPN 2. 

what does everyone think? Also use the mid to late rounds as an infomercial between picks to get fans hyped and sell ticket packages at discounted rates during the draft. With discount codes being shared through out the draft for different teams. 
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: UFL Draft

Post by GregParks »

So, we know they're doing a Rookie Draft in July. The players drafted there will be lesser college players who have little chance of even making UFL rosters (based on the results of last year's XFL Rookie Draft, anyway). I wouldn't be surprised if the league glosses over that one.

The big question will be if they do a second draft in the fall. The XFL had allegedly planned for that last year before the merger heated up. I believe the Showcase announcement for this year did say players would be scouted for potential inclusion in a draft, and because the last Showcase doesn't take place until October, you'd be talking a draft sometime in November probably at the earliest. 

That problem with publicizing the draft is it's not like the NFL where players drafted are basically guaranteed to at least go to camp with that team; unless the UFL has a draft pool that players opt in to, you're really just drafting the rights to these players, and who knows how many of them will decide to sign with the UFL versus wait out an NFL opportunity. 

All of that said, I'm for publicizing any and all drafts. Anyone who has read my work here knows this is what gets my blood flowing, and any chance to publicize the league, the UFL and networks should take advantage of. Do I have confidence it'll actually happen? Not really, especially not to the degree laid out in the OP.
@gregmparks