Wk 8 viewership

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

Wk 8 viewership

Post by 4th&long »

Wk 8 viewership - Ouch! but wait...

>>      Mike Mitchell@ByMikeMitchell #UFL Week 8 TV Ratings (Average Viewership)
Saturday 5/18
Memphis-Michigan (FOX): 673,000
Houston-Birmingham (ESPN2): 254,000
Sunday 5/19
D.C.-St. Louis (ABC): 1.1 million
Arlington-San Antonio (FOX): 545,000  
11:36 AM · May 21, 2024 <<

MM SAVING BEST FOR LAST:
>> Sunday 5/19 D.C.-St. Louis (ABC): 1.1 million <<  WOO HOO!

The Sunday game head-to-head vs NBA game 7 Cleveland v NY really hurt, same things happened last year in head to head.  Week 8 was 2 weeks later in 2023 - don't have the ratings yet for the NBA game
[edit: Cleve v NY got 6.45million viewers]

The Preakness Stakes likely did more damage Saturday than hoped - and I didn't win the race either :(

And the WNBA late game 3pm on ABC got 1.34mm following Clark 1pm game got 1.71mm That was over by 5pm.- A disgrace to FOX!! I'll be bent over the toilet heaving for a while.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/0 ... -game-tnt/
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/0 ... es-sparks/

ESPN2 - got hit hard by ABC's Thunder-Mavericks Game 6 with 5.6mm.  ESPN also had the Edm-Van NHL playoff game.

But No Comp with DC big city vs STL on ABC... 1.1mm

AND This should be the last NBA head-to-head with UFL

2023:
USFL week 8 prior year wasn't directly against NBA playoffs I believe as it was 6/3 weekend and did fairly well
and
XFL week 8 was prior to USFL opener and Easter weekend, and had a solid w/e too

Last edited by 4th&long on Tue May 21, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MGB01
MVP

Re: Wk 8 viewership

Post by MGB01 »

Ah yes, the legacy of David Stern................

Of course not that his top lieutenant Gollum is much better, let's see: TNT games are clearly outdrawing the Stephen A show (aka the NBA on ESPN/ABC) and it's TNT that's on the hook. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said, if ratings go down to 600K in the interim before the playoffs, so be it. Might get FOX more involved in the start date of next year however
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:36 am Ah yes, the legacy of David Stern................

Of course not that his top lieutenant Gollum is much better, let's see: TNT games are clearly outdrawing the Stephen A show (aka the NBA on ESPN/ABC) and it's TNT that's on the hook. BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said, if ratings go down to 600K in the interim before the playoffs, so be it. Might get FOX more involved in the start date of next year however

Its not the start date - its head-to-head competition - DC - STL with none got 1.1mm this week  Saved the weekend.

If the F##king knicks had won Friday night Fox Sunday AR-SA likely over 850+

Remember in 2022 USFL had a flex schhedule and could skirt around some big comp
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Looks like a 643k average of my math is correct. Basically right on the nose or what both leagues averaged last year. A disappointing week for sure, but not an outright failure. With hardly any meaningful games these next 2 weeks I'm afraid we're going into the playoffs on a bit of a thud. 

I fully expected Caitlin Clarks matchup to get at least 1.5M and possibly closer to 2M, so that's a bit of a letdown for the WNBA right there.

4th, do you have the yearly average on hand?

*Edit* Caitlyn Clark game actually drew 1.71M so right in line with my expectations. Hoping the UFL championship can draw that number. Too bad it won't be in prime time, although I can see that last hour (7-8pm) peaking at 2+M especially if the game is competitive.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Good weekend for the KAKAWS (B-Hawks clinching and Team Kroenke--Avs, Nuggets, Arsenal--nosediving) nonetheless
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:04 pm Looks like a 643k average of my math is correct. Basically right on the nose or what both leagues averaged last year. A disappointing week for sure, but not an outright failure. With hardly any meaningful games these next 2 weeks I'm afraid we're going into the playoffs on a bit of a thud. 

I fully expected Caitlin Clarks matchup to get at least 1.5M and possibly closer to 2M, so that's a bit of a letdown for the WNBA right there.

4th, do you have the yearly average on hand?

*Edit* Caitlyn Clark game actually drew 1.71M so right in line with my expectations. Hoping the UFL championship can draw that number. Too bad it won't be in prime time, although I can see that last hour (7-8pm) peaking at 2+M especially if the game is competitive.

The YTD average is 812k, and your math correct 643k for wk 8 2024.  Despite the ESPN2 and battered by competition Fox games ABC -DC-STL salvaged the w/e.

Still on target for 800k reg season and 820 full season but no room to spare now.  We have 4 FOX games and 3 ABC with 1 ESPN reg left

The Wk 8 big miss in my preseason prediction  was the ESPN2 which I had at 450k actual 254k.  If the Knicks had won Friday and no game 7 we likely surpass my preseason 706k avg for week. 

Clark game did get 1.71mm - youre correct.  And that lead in to 2nd WNBA game hurt the MIch / Memphis - awful

Also PGA got 4.9mm on Sunday.

Good news is should be no NBA head-to-head  rest of year - but still potential hockey, and PGA.and Belmont Stakes playoff weekend.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

There will be one head to head left, B-Hawks/SA against G2 of the NBA Finals 6/9. The combo of SAS backlash/anticlimactic plus the long-awaited STL playoff game could work more to the UFL side this time.

The three big ones left are:

vs NYR/FLA ECF 5/26
vs UEFA 6/1 (w added overlap)
vs NBA Finals 6/9
XFL Crusader
Receiver

Post by XFL Crusader »

Those WNBA numbers are crazy. People allowed themselves to be brainwashed into watching garbage basketball. 
Stallions and Vipers fan

2022 USFL Champions
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

XFL Crusader wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:57 pm Those WNBA numbers are crazy. People allowed themselves to be brainwashed into watching garbage basketball.
There's a sizable portion of football fans that say the same thing about us for watching spring football. This was probably the best draft class in WNBA history. If the numbers fall back to previous years levels then I don't think anyone besides Jesus himself can "save" the WNBA.

​​
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:33 pm There will be one head to head left, B-Hawks/SA against G2 of the NBA Finals 6/9. The combo of SAS backlash/anticlimactic plus the long-awaited STL playoff game could work more to the UFL side this time.

The three big ones left are:

vs NYR/FLA ECF 5/26
vs UEFA 6/1 (w added overlap)
vs NBA Finals 6/9

I see now the NBA is scheduling an 8pm game 2 finals on 6/9.  The UFL would be really dumb to put a UFL playoff game up against the NBA finals.  Hopefully they move the game up to 5pm or at least 6pm.  Now that its listed by the NBA - time to move the game time.