Houston Discounting Tix to Rice Students/Faculty

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

Houston Discounting Tix to Rice Students/Faculty

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/20 ... ts-faculty

>>  The Houston Roughnecks, one of eight teams in the newly-merged United Football League, begin their inaugural season at Rice Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Standard tickets start at $22 for the public but are available for university students and faculty at $10. Discounted tickets are available for Sections 101, 102 and 106 at Rice Stadium. An additional service fee of $1.72 per ticket will be added to the base charge. Students and faculty can purchase discounted tickets for all five home games, including Sunday’s 2 p.m. clash with the Memphis Showboats, at shorturl.at/fgozV.The Roughnecks offered discounted tickets to “show our gratitude for our new home,” according to their FEVO ticket page. They are the only team in the UFL scheduled to play home games at a university-associated stadium. <<

While this is smart thing to do, I hope this has been in place for a while.  This weekend may not matter as many students may be home for the Easter holiday.
super390
Running Back

Re: Houston Discounting Tix to Rice Students/Faculty

Post by super390 »

Rice has fewer than 4500 undergrads, so it's probably not going to have a big impact one way or the other.  As for the grad students, I was one for two semesters and snowed under by reading assignments, so not going to any games.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

Rice students don't even care about their own athletics.

This would totally work if the Renegades had moved to Oklahoma, though.
Dome Dome Dome
Kicker

Post by Dome Dome Dome »

Pretty poor announced attendance too and no excuses like an early kick off. I would not be surprised if Houston doesn't make it past this season. 
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Dome Dome Dome" wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:10 pm Pretty poor announced attendance too and no excuses like an early kick off. I would not be surprised if Houston doesn't make it past this season. 
Hopefully ownership isn't in a financial position where they need to panic and move a team after one year. Frequently moving teams is a great signal to potential fans not to take this league seriously. You've at some point got to allow teams to grow in their markets, even if it means taking it on the chin with attendance for a year or two. 
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:30 pm
Dome Dome Dome" wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:10 pm Pretty poor announced attendance too and no excuses like an early kick off. I would not be surprised if Houston doesn't make it past this season. 
Hopefully ownership isn't in a financial position where they need to panic and move a team after one year. Frequently moving teams is a great signal to potential fans not to take this league seriously. You've at some point got to allow teams to grow in their markets, even if it means taking it on the chin with attendance for a year or two. 
Its all about TV ratings... clearly the move to Rice didn't help - but lets not discount Easter impact on LIVE attendance.

Houston is a top 10 TV market and in Texas where they are getting incentives.  I don't see them changing
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

An argument can be made that the Roughnecks are the most recognizable franchise in spring football. The Stallions, for all their winning, have never converted their success to widespread popularity. You don't see people mention McGough like they used to mention Walker.

Roughnecks imo have that possible ceiling, just up to the front office of the league to create it.