Everybody expects McCarron. Yoink! Brandon Silvers

United Football League (2024) Discussion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Everybody expects McCarron. Yoink! Brandon Silvers

Post by MarkNelson »

I don't know who the league is winning over with all the teasing. I can tell you it's not me. :) I prefer the straight facts and getting on with the game.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

NYP: McCarron to UFL at his request. Plus CBS-S

Post by 4th&long »

https://nypost.com/2024/02/15/sports/aj ... ay-in-ufl/

>>AJ McCarron asked Bengals to cut him so he could play in UFL<<

Say what you want but that this is good pr:  Even has some positive comments.  I'll bet he's highest paid player in UFL right now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aj-m ... d-xfl-mvp/

>> The Cincinnati Bengals made an interesting transaction Wednesday, releasing veteran quarterback and reigning XFL MVP AJ McCarron. McCarron was signed this past offseason to give the Bengals depth at the position following Joe Burrow's season-ending wrist injury. McCarron has signed with the St. Louis Battlehawks, the team announced Friday. The Battlehawks played in the XFL last season and will be part of the UFL's inaugural season. <<

johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

UFL made the McCarron signing official this morning 
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

I mean you kind of have to come back lol.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:24 am UFL made the McCarron signing official this morning 

AJ McCarron leveraged his 2023 XFL season into a return to the NFL earning almost 400k with Cin. He used the XFL to get in game shape and prove his injuries were no longer an issue. This is more a business decision than is at the surface for AJ. Besides he’s likely earning at least 10k a game plus camp money.

He’s taking an injury risk playing so he needs $$.But its also a win-win for McCarron and the UFL as StL will(or is) likely go nutz with attendance – tickets are flying off the shelf. His signing only helps there.

Best case scenario for UFL is StL breaks 50k attendance in a game, BH make it to the championship in StL and 60k show up. Then AJ gets another gig in NFL proving this model works for players entice even more vets to give the UFL a shot.
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:21 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:24 am UFL made the McCarron signing official this morning 

AJ McCarron leveraged his 2023 XFL season into a return to the NFL earning almost 400k with Cin. He used the XFL to get in game shape and prove his injuries were no longer an issue. This is more a business decision than is at the surface for AJ. Besides he’s likely earning at least 10k a game plus camp money.

He’s taking an injury risk playing so he needs $$.But its also a win-win for McCarron and the UFL as StL will(or is) likely go nutz with attendance – tickets are flying off the shelf. His signing only helps there.

Best case scenario for UFL is StL breaks 50k attendance in a game, BH make it to the championship in StL and 60k show up. Then AJ gets another gig in NFL proving this model works for players entice even more vets to give the UFL a shot.
Or it becomes like the old UFL where aging mid-tier or marginal QBs with some starting experience see the league as a credible way to end their careers with a shorter season and national TV recognition. I mean, to an extent, that's what Landry Jones did in the XFL's first season.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:53 am

Or it becomes like the old UFL where aging mid-tier or marginal QBs with some starting experience see the league as a credible way to end their careers with a shorter season and national TV recognition. I mean, to an extent, that's what Landry Jones did in the XFL's first season.
That's possible, but less likely, as aging mid tier QB's aka McCarron or Josh Johnson need sizable $$$ to move the needle.  But as a way to return to the NFL they're willing to take less $$.  It all depends on what the UFL is paying.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Two potential spring league QB's Sean Mannion and David Blough took their names out of the running for future UFL employment as QBs by retiring and becoming assistant coaches: Mannion with the Packers and Blough with the Commanders.  
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:00 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:53 am

That's possible, but less likely, as aging mid tier QB's aka McCarron or Josh Johnson need sizable $$$ to move the needle.  But as a way to return to the NFL they're willing to take less $$.  It all depends on what the UFL is paying.
It I don’t think the league wants old washed up QBs anymore. I think McCarron is a legitimate NFL backup QB which may be why he’s the exception, same with Hundley. 

I think they want QB’s that create continuity like Ta’amu, Cookus, Dormandy, etc. Players that will get NFL practice squad looks but more than likely always come back to the UFL