NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff

United Football League (2024) Discussion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff

Post by MarkNelson »

"In a vote at the annual league meeting, the NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff, modeled on what has previously been used in the XFL, that the league believes will increase the number of returns while decreasing the number of injuries."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... ckoff-rule
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Re: NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 am "In a vote at the annual league meeting, the NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff, modeled on what has previously been used in the XFL, that the league believes will increase the number of returns while decreasing the number of injuries."

No surprise from the league as they continue to feign concern for players.  Its not a low-impact kickoff, give me a break.

My thoughts are that the USFL kickoff is the best.  Roger Goodell has been ruining the NFL since he arrived as commissioner.  His rule changes have really hurt the game of FB imo.

The league went after the K/O because of appearances to address a lawsuit, nothing more.  Is it really generating that many injuries.  No.  The UFL data shows that.

Is he addressing QBs running too much and getting hurt?  No. In fact all the special QB rules encourage it.  Too many games played ? - hell no they added a week and another 2 playoff games too.

How about artificial turf injuries - no lawsuit and adds cost, and per players a bigger concern than concussions.  Also its the primary reason why injuries occur during a horse collar tackle.

The traditional NFL style K/O is awesome.  UFL viewers will enjoy it far better.

As far as well the NFL does it we should too argument... then have  a PAT be a 33yd kick and no 5/7yd 2/3 tries either or 1 foot in bounds catches.  

Let the UFL be different on K/O's (and yet the same as real NFL K/O of the past), again viewers will enjoy it.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:14 am
MarkNelson wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 am "In a vote at the annual league meeting, the NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff, modeled on what has previously been used in the XFL, that the league believes will increase the number of returns while decreasing the number of injuries."

No surprise from the league as they continue to feign concern for players.  Its not a low-impact kickoff, give me a break.

My thoughts are that the USFL kickoff is the best.  Roger Goodell has been ruining the NFL since he arrived as commissioner.  His rule changes have really hurt the game of FB imo.

The league went after the K/O because of appearances to address a lawsuit, nothing more.  Is it really generating that many injuries.  No.  The UFL data shows that.

Is he addressing QBs running too much and getting hurt?  No. In fact all the special QB rules encourage it.  Too many games played ? - hell no they added a week and another 2 playoff games too.

How about artificial turf injuries - no lawsuit and adds cost, and per players a bigger concern than concussions.  Also its the primary reason why injuries occur during a horse collar tackle.

The traditional NFL style K/O is awesome.  UFL viewers will enjoy it far better.

As far as well the NFL does it we should too argument... then have  a PAT be a 33yd kick and no 5/7yd 2/3 tries either or 1 foot in bounds catches.  

Let the UFL be different on K/O's (and yet the same as real NFL K/O of the past), again viewers will enjoy it.
OK Florio.........................................

BTW who made the last "argument", projection much?

I liked the next piece and his whinefest about the NFL playing on Christmas Day, hmmmm the announcement comes on the tenth anniversary of one of the biggest numbnuts ever to become a billionaire declaring war on the league (guess you should have said "I'm out" on that one). Seems Florio should jump to Pro Basketball Talk, he loves the NBA so much.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:36 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:14 am

OK Florio.........................................

BTW who made the last "argument", projection much?

I liked the next piece and his whinefest about the NFL playing on Christmas Day, hmmmm the announcement comes on the tenth anniversary of one of the biggest numbnuts ever to become a billionaire declaring war on the league (guess you should have said "I'm out" on that one). Seems Florio should jump to Pro Basketball Talk, he loves the NBA so much.
When Aaron Donald first retired, Florio expressed doubt about it and former NFL QB and his regular co-host Chris Simms called him out on it and even mocked Florio for "Tom Brady is coming back to play for the Dolphins or 49ers."
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

I knew the NFL would use the XFL kickoff and now the UFL is using a classic kickoff. What a mess. I understand the NFL will change for the 2024 season and then decide whether to do it another season. The UFL will have to decide what to do in 2025 if it lasts that long.
nickp1991
Kicker

Post by nickp1991 »

The NFL adapting to use the XFL kickoff is perfect!
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

nickp1991 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:39 am The NFL adapting to use the XFL kickoff is perfect!

I have to admit I love it. It does complicate things for the UFL though. As the UFL season progresses people are going to continue to wonder why the UFL is not doing it, and Moose Johnson will have to defend his stance continuously. 

UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:23 am
nickp1991 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:39 am The NFL adapting to use the XFL kickoff is perfect!

I have to admit I love it. It does complicate things for the UFL though. As the UFL season progresses people are going to continue to wonder why the UFL is not doing it, and Moose Johnson will have to defend his stance continuously. 

He like millions of FB fans like the traditional kick off better.  He won't say it that way, but it gives the UFL an edge.

I heard Giant owner Mara on NFL radio saysing - "There were 13 kick offs in the superbowl and not one returned.  We can't continue to have a ceremonial only play for that much game time." 
That's why the NFL is going back to a k/o at all - like everything else they over reacted to the concussion noise and are now back tracking, but in ususal NFL style they never admit they were wrong (deflategate) so they can say "look we have a safer way"

- I don't hate the XFL k/o and its an improvement for the NFL over no k/o but with the first injury the question will be on the NFL,"Why not just go back to the traditional k/o"
XFL4ever
Quarterback

Post by XFL4ever »

I think Daryl Johnston's ego with the USFL didn't do the XFL any favors during the merger. Johnston clearly didn't like anything the XFL was doing. He's a USFL homer and always will be.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL4ever wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:55 pm

I think Daryl Johnston's ego with the USFL didn't do the XFL any favors during the merger. Johnston clearly didn't like anything the XFL was doing. He's a USFL homer and always will be.
Daryl Johnston has spoken highly of XFL actually eg St Louis..  The biggest factor for XFL/USFL was time of year Winter vs Spring start - that's not apples to apples.  Its water under the bridge, just learn from it.

He's a UFL homer as is everyone involved now.  Everyone involved wants the UFL to succeed.  When it comes to rules - everyone will have their own opinions likes and dislikes.  As DJ stated there was no difference with injuries between the two leagues on kickoffs.