OT: AFL (Arena) inks TV deal with NFLN

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

OT: AFL (Arena) inks TV deal with NFLN

Post by 4th&long »

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/0 ... e-ceo-mlb/

>>  Plus: AFL on NFL Network, Amina Smith, Olympics in theaters

— NFL Network said this week that it has reached agreements to carry Arena Football League games this season, marking the first time that the league has carried the AFL since 2011. The 30-game AFL schedule begins April 27 with Orlando-Albany. In addition, NFL Network is set to carry the full five-week “OT7” seven-on-seven football league run by the Overtime media company. <<
laxtreme56
Head Coach

Re: OT: AFL (Arena) inks TV deal with NFLN

Post by laxtreme56 »

Most likely a pay to play deal like the AAF, or at best, NFL network covers production costs and splits the advertising revenue with the AFL. It’s better than nothing, but not by much.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Gee, you almost wish somebody had offhandedly mentioned this in a thread so we don't have these A-HA! threads popping up
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:53 pm Most likely a pay to play deal like the AAF, or at best, NFL network covers production costs and splits the advertising revenue with the AFL. It’s better than nothing, but not by much.
The new AFL is a mess...
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:08 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:53 pm Most likely a pay to play deal like the AAF, or at best, NFL network covers production costs and splits the advertising revenue with the AFL. It’s better than nothing, but not by much.
The new AFL is a mess...
Over on ArenaFan I have defended the AFL a few times.  Once such time was when the week after the Super Bowl came and went and one of the posters there said that there wasn't any announcement on anything.  I defended the AFL on that one, because yes Commissioner Lee Hutton said that an announcement on a broadcast deal was "after the Super Bowl" but he did not say "week after the Super Bowl."  It's still after the Super Bowl.

I do think the AFL will complete a season, I just don't know with how many teams.  Taking on the remaining CIF teams is an interesting choice.  
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:05 pm
The new AFL is a mess...
Over on ArenaFan I have defended the AFL a few times.  Once such time was when the week after the Super Bowl came and went and one of the posters there said that there wasn't any announcement on anything.  I defended the AFL on that one, because yes Commissioner Lee Hutton said that an announcement on a broadcast deal was "after the Super Bowl" but he did not say "week after the Super Bowl."  It's still after the Super Bowl.

I do think the AFL will complete a season, I just don't know with how many teams.  Taking on the remaining CIF teams is an interesting choice.  
Being a lurker over there without an account... the folks at Arenafan really don't trust this guy.

And to tell the truth, I don't either. Their ownership groups seem to be all over the place in trustworthiness. Albany and Nashville seem to have some robust backing. The CIF teams look like they'll probably be in over their heads, as cool as it is to see teams in Montana, South Dakota and Kansas. The rest look like a bunch of semi-pro team owners and shady hucksters that—well, I'll just leave it at that.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 pm
The new AFL is a mess...

Being a lurker over there without an account... the folks at Arenafan really don't trust this guy.

And to tell the truth, I don't either. Their ownership groups seem to be all over the place in trustworthiness. Albany and Nashville seem to have some robust backing. The CIF teams look like they'll probably be in over their heads, as cool as it is to see teams in Montana, South Dakota and Kansas. The rest look like a bunch of semi-pro team owners and shady hucksters that—well, I'll just leave it at that.
Someone there named LoveFB says that once the league folds, Nashville will go to the IFL. 
XFL4ever
Quarterback

Post by XFL4ever »

As much as I loved the old AFL, this newest version, as mentioned by several folks, seems so unorganized and messy. For the sake of the AFL I hope it succeeds, but so far it's a mess with schedules, some arenas not even announced yet, suspect team ownerships, etc. 
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm

Someone there named LoveFB says that once the league folds, Nashville will go to the IFL. 
Albany came very close to choosing the IFL over the AFL this year alone.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:35 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm

Albany came very close to choosing the IFL over the AFL this year alone.
Probably because the IFL has, after years of struggling to maintain franchises that aren't a part of its core, begun to stabilize. I live in San Diego now and even though I've never been to a Strike Force game (cause they suck, lol), it gets decent attendance numbers in the couple of thousands a game and they're able to keep afloat probably one of the least profitable franchises in the league. 

The AFL has name recognition and a storied history. It was once a fun part of spring ball, football that wasn't really football, but as someone who finds myself catching IFL games sometimes, you have to think that the AFL ship has sailed. The IFL has fought really hard to reach a point where people actually care about their franchises, they get a legitimate TV partnership (just for championship games tho) that could eventually expand if interest grows, and real big sport owners buying into the idea of the IFL (Vegas). All the new AFL and their franchises + the CIF castaways do is divide that space.