United Football League Reveals Team markets and Head Coaches for the 2024 Season

United Football League (2024) Discussion
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

United Football League Reveals Team markets and Head Coaches for the 2024 Season

Post by MarkNelson »

https://xflboard.com/news/united-footba ... 24-season/
ARLINGTON, TX – January 1, 2024 – The United Football League, the premier spring football league, today announced the eight teams competing in its inaugural season kicking off on March 30, 2024. The League will be divided into two conferences: USFL and XFL.

USFL CONFERENCE
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Roughnecks
Memphis Showboats
Michigan Panthers

XFL CONFERENCE
Arlington Renegades
D.C. Defenders
San Antonio Brahmas
St. Louis Battlehawks

Houston was the one overlapping market between the XFL and USFL and it was one of the strongest markets for both leagues. As a result, the USFL’s Houston Gamblers have been rebranded as the Houston Roughnecks.

The UFL’s 10-game regular season will start on Saturday, March 30, 2024, with a battle of the 2023 champions: Birmingham Stallions (USFL) vs Arlington Renegades (XFL). Players will report to training camp on Saturday, February 24, 2024, in Arlington, Texas.

Head Coaches

The UFL’s Head Coaches include returning names from both the XFL and USFL. Collectively, they bring decades of coaching and playing experience, a passion for the game and a commitment to expanding opportunities for players.

Skip Holtz (Stallions)
Curtis Johnson (Roughnecks)
John DeFilippo (Showboats)
Mike Nolan (Panthers)

Bob Stoops (Renegades)
Reggie Barlow (Defenders)
Wade Phillips (Brahmas)
Anthony Becht (Battlehawks)

Today’s news was first announced by Dany Garcia and Dwayne Johnson on ESPN’s College GameDay Built by The Home Depot.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Re: United Football League Reveals Team markets and Head Coaches for the 2024 Season

Post by GDAWG »

I feel bad for Anthony Blevins. He left a stable job in the NFL to join the XFL only to have his team fold shop.
XFL4ever
Quarterback

Re: United Football League Reveals Team markets and Head Coaches for the 2024 Season

Post by XFL4ever »

Loved when Pat McAfee gave major props to the XFL, he recognized it as the superior product. Nonetheless we are all one, so pumped. Now we need a schedule !
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

any mention of the other teams being put on pause or potentially coming back or are they officially dead never to be heard from again now?
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL4ever wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:02 pm Loved when Pat McAfee gave major props to the XFL, he recognized it as the superior product. Nonetheless we are all one, so pumped. Now we need a schedule !
Unfortunately Pat is a Rock azz kisser. His "facts" were all BS wrong. The viewers were virtually identical at 634k XFL, 631k USFL. Someone better tell him the leagues are merged and ragging on USFL is ragging on Rocks league now.

Other than that quip by McAfee it was a pretty good segment. But again focus on the fan experience more.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:08 pm
XFL4ever wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:02 pm Loved when Pat McAfee gave major props to the XFL, he recognized it as the superior product. Nonetheless we are all one, so pumped. Now we need a schedule !
Unfortunately Pat is a Rock azz kisser. His "facts" were all BS wrong. The viewers were virtually identical at 634k XFL, 631k USFL. Someone better tell him the leagues are merged and ragging on USFL is ragging on Rocks league now.

Other than that quip by McAfee it was a pretty good segment. But again focus on the fan experience more.
In Pat's defense, he's not the only one who sucks up to the Rock.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:04 pm any mention of the other teams being put on pause or potentially coming back or are they officially dead never to be heard from again now?
Their twitter accounts are all signing off. I'm not sure you want to lead fans on by saying the team is on "pause," but I'm not sure you want to close the door completely by calling them officially dead, either. Probably best to not saying anything more right now.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Notable perhaps that the XFL teams are all selling season tickets (which they had already started before the merger) while the USFL teams are still just doing deposits if you click the link. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have them actually selling the tickets today unless you wanted to do a big deal of that even itself. I can see Houston doing deposits since a location hasn't been announced, but the home fields are known for the others already.
@gregmparks
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

GregParks wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:13 pm
XFLUSFLGUY wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:04 pm any mention of the other teams being put on pause or potentially coming back or are they officially dead never to be heard from again now?
Their twitter accounts are all signing off. I'm not sure you want to lead fans on by saying the team is on "pause," but I'm not sure you want to close the door completely by calling them officially dead, either. Probably best to not saying anything more right now.
That's understandable. However, when the inevitable dialogue about future expansion gets brought up, I really do hope there is push for the re-emergence of some of these teams that got left out of the merger.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

It will be interesting to see how they do the whole thing with mascots since three of the teams (Panthers, Showboats and Stallions) have mascots while the other 5 do not. The other three can get rid of mascots and I considered the idea of team ambassadors being active NFL players (like having Dak Prescott and Micah Parsons being Renegades team ambassadors or Jared Goff, Aiden Hutchinson and Amon-Ra St. Brown being Panthers team ambassadors) but San Antonio, Memphis, St. Louis and Birmingham don't have NFL teams (now Memphis could use Titans players, St. Louis could use Chiefs players and Birmingham either Saints or Falcons, but I couldn't come up with who San Antonio would use).