Theoretical Discussion: Possible expansion cities and mascots

United Football League (2024) Discussion
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

Re: Theoretical Discussion: Possible expansion cities and mascots

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:30 am

Wiki says that the stadium is owned by the University of Oklahoma
And the University of Oklahoma is a state university, i.e., a state agency. Unlike, for example, Franklin Field in Philadelphia or the two reasonable Boston options (Harvard Stadium or BC's Alumni Stadium), all owned by private schools. State schools are state-funded. So while it might not be as open as, for example, municipally owned Audi Field or the Battledome... it's probably the next best thing.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:50 pm

And the University of Oklahoma is a state university, i.e., a state agency. Unlike, for example, Franklin Field in Philadelphia or the two reasonable Boston options (Harvard Stadium or BC's Alumni Stadium), all owned by private schools. State schools are state-funded. So while it might not be as open as, for example, municipally owned Audi Field or the Battledome... it's probably the next best thing.
it seats 80,000 though and I don't think the UFL can fill 80,000
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

GDAWG wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:19 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:50 pm
it seats 80,000 though and I don't think the UFL can fill 80,000
They can't come anywhere near filling the Liberty Bowl but that didn't stop them.
All I'm saying is don't rule OKC out so quickly. It has a few things going for it, and what it has going against it, while admittedly real, isn't insurmountable.
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

There are 43 cities in America that currently support a major league team. Only 30 of those cities have NFL teams. That leaves 13 others—San Diego, Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio, Memphis, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Orlando, Raleigh, Columbus and Austin.

St. Louis, San Antonio and Memphis already have the UFL. AAF tried Salt Lake, it didn't work, but that was also a middle-of-winter issue. Orlando can work but the team has to be successful. The XFL botched the whole situation with the Guardians so ridiculously badly. Portland, I just don't feel like Portland's all that good of a fit culturally. They're modern day hippies and weirdos, not really the kind of people into football. Austin... look, the UFL already has enough teams in Texas. Not that they couldn't hole up the Brahams and an Austin team in San Marcos the way the USFL did last year, but let's be serious. Milwaukee is probably a no-go. The Brewers don't want to share their field and other than that, you're basically looking at hamfisting your way into the Milwaukee Mile (which has surprisingly hosted football before, but not since the 1950s as far as I know). Columbus... intriguing, being Ohio State HQ would make it a natural rival for the Panthers. The original Crew stadium is 1990s vintage, not too old, and still in use for the Crew reserves—a feasible target, but does it add much more than Canton and its pro-caliber facilities offer? Same with Cooper Stadium, still partially standing.

Throw in the cities that have hosted teams in one of the major leagues in the past 50 years, and you add in Hartford, Omaha, Virginia Hampton Roads, Tulsa and Louisville—and Oakland, though that's in the Bay Area. (Since the 49ers hightailed it to Santa Clara, you could technically count San Francisco in that category, too—and Kezar Stadium, with a 10,000 seat capacity and ridiculously affordable rent (I think it was around $10,000 for an event?), would be a suitable venue. But San Francisco still has the 49ers named after them so that "spurned by the NFL" feeling isn't really there—and the 49ers are really successful right now.) The old UFL had some success in Hartford, Omaha and Virginia. Omaha poses a problem mainly because its main stadium is in use in June for the College World Series, and 80,000 seat Memorial Stadium is 80 miles away, much more than the 20-mile OKC-to-Norman trek. Not sure when Rochester and Syracuse left the NBA (I think it was the 60s) but both have ties to Russ Brandon and have usable stadiums. (Though the Dome in Syracuse is again owned by a private university and might be a problem.) Louisville... it hasn't really been tried before. The big college there, like Oklahoma, is public. Kentucky has a reputation of kind of being a backwater other than during Kentucky Derby season so I feel like it wouldn't move the needle as far as maintaining national interest. Tulsa had a team in the old USFL, named after Oklahoma, and Skelly Stadium is feasible. Or, you could go with Stillwater and split the difference.

For good measure, let's add in the cities without MLB or MLS to compete with the spring sports dollar: Indianapolis, Green Bay, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Buffalo. The 2020s USFL came very close to a New Orleans deal. Green Bay, probably too small. Indianapolis... intrigues me, but is it a rabid enough market to justify a second pro football team? Buffalo, RABID fan base, ideal stadium at UB and ties to Russ Brandon, but probably won't happen. The Jacksonville Bulls have been done before, feasible but a longshot.

If the UFL were to move back to the post-Super Bowl window you could consider Baltimore and Cincinnati. Baltimore'd make a great rival for DC and has a solid history with the Stallions in the 90s.

I want markets with an appetite for the kind of football the UFL has to offer. Natural college rivalries and/or spurned by the NFL, with a market size big enough to draw pro sports.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:50 pm
Not sure when Rochester and Syracuse left the NBA (I think it was the 60s) but both have ties to Russ Brandon and have usable stadiums. (Though the Dome in Syracuse is again owned by a private university and might be a problem.) 
I'm originally from the Rochester-ish area, and I was curious what stadium you had in mind there for the UFL to use? 
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

GregParks wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:09 pm
Not sure when Rochester and Syracuse left the NBA (I think it was the 60s) but both have ties to Russ Brandon and have usable stadiums. (Though the Dome in Syracuse is again owned by a private university and might be a problem.) 
I'm originally from the Rochester-ish area, and I was curious what stadium you had in mind there for the UFL to use? 
That downtown soccer stadium that the Rhinos used to play in.

I think Rochester, like the other New York markets, would probably be a longshot, but not out of the realm of possibility.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

So I wonder if Chicago, Denver, Oakland and Phoenix can work in the UFL?  As I said on Page 2, I can't see any of those working out all that well.  
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:47 pm

I think Rochester, like the other New York markets, would probably be a longshot, but not out of the realm of possibility.
Gotcha. I've only been once but it's a nice stadium. Wouldn't have to deal with tenants since it's hardly being used these days from what I can gather. 
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

But why would the UFL go into such a small TV market (even if you added Buffalo)?  That's the question.  Also all the NY regulations w/o NYC?  I just don't see it.   Chicago perhaps - if there's a stadium in the burbs, but Illinois is another gov reg intense state,

They need to get into NY/NJ or Philly via the burbs.   The UFL has the smallest total TV Markets of any league year sans 2019 AAF, and half of 2020 XFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:53 pm

But why would the UFL go into such a small TV market (even if you added Buffalo)?  That's the question.  Also all the NY regulations w/o NYC?  I just don't see it.   Chicago perhaps - if there's a stadium in the burbs, but Illinois is another gov reg intense state,

They need to get into NY/NJ or Philly via the burbs.   The UFL has the smallest total TV Markets of any league year sans 2019 AAF, and half of 2020 XFL.