UFL to expand faster than you think?

United Football League (2024) Discussion
GDAWG
MVP

Re: UFL to expand faster than you think?

Post by GDAWG »

I don't think the UFL should go into new markets until they can bring back as many of the inactive 8 teams as possible.  
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:51 pm I don't think the UFL should go into new markets until they can bring back as many of the inactive 8 teams as possible.  
I'd rather they try a brand new market than go back to Vegas myself. 

Are you going to say no to a NY or LA franchise because we just NEED to bring back the Orlando Guardians? The league has to do what's best for its long-term survival, and that's not always going to jibe with going back to these franchises that did not perform well enough from a live attendance POV. 
@gregmparks
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:51 pm I don't think the UFL should go into new markets until they can bring back as many of the inactive 8 teams as possible.  
If you're gonna catch fish, you need to go where the fish are, not where they were.  Some of those inactive markets may still be viable options,  but some may not.
Dome Dome Dome
Kicker

Post by Dome Dome Dome »

I'd expect if the league proves to be viable the NFL will become involved in some manner and that will heavily dictate the direction in terms of team placement. 
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Dome Dome Dome" wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:25 pm I'd expect if the league proves to be viable the NFL will become involved in some manner and that will heavily dictate the direction in terms of team placement. 

If teh NFL gets too heavily "IN" it will be detrimental to the league. 

The UFL and legacy USFL/XFL were in markets that have NFL teams and no NFL team, They need to go where it makes the most business sense for League.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:16 pm
I'd rather they try a brand new market than go back to Vegas myself. 

Are you going to say no to a NY or LA franchise because we just NEED to bring back the Orlando Guardians? The league has to do what's best for its long-term survival, and that's not always going to jibe with going back to these franchises that did not perform well enough from a live attendance POV. 
I would bring back the 4 USFL teams that got cut, plus Seattle.  That's 5 of the 8, so that would be what I would consider as many of the inactive teams.

There may be some hope for Pittsburgh.  The Riverhounds are planning expansion of their soccer stadium to 15,000 seats.  That stadium has 5,000 which was too small for the Maulers.  Expansion to 15,000 though is just right.  
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

If you had $500 Million and wanted to turn it into $1 Billion would you buy an expansion UFL franchise, and where would you put it? 

I don’t know? Maybe Oakland?

to be clear, I would not waste my $500 million. 
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

I know they were an AAF team, but I loved the San Diego Fleet. If I had that money, I’d want them back. 
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 am If you had $500 Million and wanted to turn it into $1 Billion would you buy an expansion UFL franchise, and where would you put it? 

Hey Mark I think you included 1 too many zeros.  The UFL in total, based on XFL funding request was likely valued in the $250-350mm range.  Lets round to an easy $400mm and say each team is only $50...

Now as a multi-billionaire would you drop $50mm to buy a team that could be worth $100mm in a short time?
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 am If you had $500 Million and wanted to turn it into $1 Billion would you buy an expansion UFL franchise, and where would you put it? 

I don't think it would cost nearly that much right now, but I'd put one in the NY/NJ area. Yes, the operating costs would be higher, but the revenue potential is exceptional.