Game thread: Memphis Showboats at Houston Roughnecks, Sun Mar 31, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

United Football League (2024) Discussion
MGB01
MVP

Re: Game thread: Memphis Showboats at Houston Roughnecks, Sun Mar 31, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:01 pm This game had promise, but has turned into a bit of a slop fest. I really think they need to have one preseason game next year. I understand player safety is a concern, but a few weeks of camp with minimal contact is starting to rear its ugly head.

Or is this more the 7/8 teams in the league? Granted none of the other three games had both teams top 20 points, but they were hardly slopfests.

And how do you do preseason games that would address this? it ain't that cut and dry.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Game thread: Memphis Showboats at Houston Roughnecks, Sun Mar 31, 3:00 PM ET, ESPN

Post by MarkNelson »

Roughnecks looked to be making this interesting... but penalties. CJ Johnson needs to work on his squad.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

Gamblers modern USFL legacy of failure rubbing off onto the Roughnecks unfortunately. I think the only improvements I’m seeing is defense and QB play. I think Guarantano is a good QB just suffering from lack of readiness.

I like Rice’s stadium more, I think it looks better on TV. The attendance is another victim of Easter Sunday. The league clearly is more interested in the TV figures that come than attendance.

Memphis stagnant in the second half I don’t think they’re that much of a threat. I do like Cookus but it’s not like he’s new to this, proving once again he’s a starter at this level.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Of course, hoo boy
johnnyangryfuzzball
MVP

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

That, and let's face it: the Roughnecks fans had two really good teams in '20 and '23. Pulling the ol' Switcheroo by giving them the Gamblers in Roughnecks regalia probably left some bad tastes in people's mouths.

I can't imagine the fans wanting to turn out the same way they did for the XFL.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 pm

And how do you do preseason games that would address this? it ain't that cut and dry.
It would address some of the key problems that we've seen in this game, namely delay penalties (first time a lot of these guys working with this play clock), poor offensive line play (the more a line can have real-game reps, the better they may be) and other procedural penalties (allows them to knock off the rust in a real game-like situation).

There's also the chance that these just are who these teams are. But while preseason games wouldn't be a magic elixir, it couldn't hurt in improving the play on the field. 
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:24 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 pm

It would address some of the key problems that we've seen in this game, namely delay penalties (first time a lot of these guys working with this play clock), poor offensive line play (the more a line can have real-game reps, the better they may be) and other procedural penalties (allows them to knock off the rust in a real game-like situation).

There's also the chance that these just are who these teams are. But while preseason games wouldn't be a magic elixir, it couldn't hurt in improving the play on the field. 
I ddn't get to watch either game due to the Easter plans but listened to 1st half+ of Brahmas / DC - that fake was insane.  I was thinking of switch winners to SA but wasn't bold enough and went with DC.  I'm not as high on DC as others but still expected a win.

But this is game 1 - in the NFL weeks 1-3  are like preseason anymore,  Expect improvement from Memphis, Houston and DC.  After week 3 we should know more what the teams really are.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:09 pm That, and let's face it: the Roughnecks fans had two really good teams in '20 and '23. Pulling the ol' Switcheroo by giving them the Gamblers in Roughnecks regalia probably left some bad tastes in people's mouths.

I mean spring football fans are the biggest fairweather fans in professional sport. They have no reason to attend other than if there is a product worth watching.

Today wasn't a product worth watching, and honestly the Gamblers were really not that motivational, esp compared to XFL 20' and 23' Roughnecks. We'll see on attendance but I think the league has to be happy with a 12,000+, today wasnt it.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:17 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:09 pm That, and let's face it: the Roughnecks fans had two really good teams in '20 and '23. Pulling the ol' Switcheroo by giving them the Gamblers in Roughnecks regalia probably left some bad tastes in people's mouths.

I mean spring football fans are the biggest fairweather fans in professional sport. They have no reason to attend other than if there is a product worth watching.

Today wasn't a product worth watching, and honestly the Gamblers were really not that motivational, esp compared to XFL 20' and 23' Roughnecks. We'll see on attendance but I think the league has to be happy with a 12,000+, today wasnt it.
In all honesty I think the live attendance had more to do with being during dinner time on Easter Sunday and moving to Rice stadium than anything else.  Will the poor performance impact the team going forward?  Perhaps.  And the Texans finally had a good year too.   But again its week one. 

Even with winning and the better stadium and the name "Phillips"  they only averaged 11-12k in 2023.  And the Texans finally had a good year too, so there could be less interest. 

Are they moving back to TDECU Stadium next year? 

It's all about TV in the end ... lets hope the rating are good.