Memphis waives QB Cole Kelley, Signs Josh Love

United Football League (2024) Discussion
4th&long
MVP

Memphis waives QB Cole Kelley, Signs Josh Love

Post by 4th&long »

https://uflboard.com/news/quarterback-c ... showboats/

>> BREAKING: The Memphis Showboats are signing QB Josh Love, per sources. Love spent the 2023 season with the Panthers, starting nine games. After being on the Free Agent market the last few months, he lands with the @USFLShowboatsas Cole Kelley's replacement. #UFL  <<
That's big news in spring FB world... then again he's not DeFlip's guy.  But wow.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Re: Memphis waives QB Cole Kelley, Signs Josh Love

Post by Coffeeeyes »

Kellen Mond & Tracy McSorley off the books then I guess?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm Kellen Mond & Tracy McSorley off the books then I guess?
They are looking at NFL opportunities.  
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:36 pm
Coffeeeyes wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:14 pm Kellen Mond & Tracy McSorley off the books then I guess?
Fair enough. The league isn’t gonna offer them NFL PS money and that’s probably the highest they’ll go, especially Mond. 

Sucks, I wanted Mond in SA. He’s a native so.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:39 pm
Fair enough. The league isn’t gonna offer them NFL PS money and that’s probably the highest they’ll go, especially Mond. 

But without play time its usually a short stay.  Baker bet on himself in TB.  McGough bet on himself in Birmingham USFL.  Spring FB has helped Heineke, Ta'amu, McGough, etc... Corral could be next.
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

4th&long wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:14 pm
Coffeeeyes wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:39 pm

But without play time its usually a short stay.  Baker bet on himself in TB.  McGough bet on himself in Birmingham USFL.  Spring FB has helped Heineke, Ta'amu, McGough, etc... Corral could be next.
That’s the angle both the XFL and USFL successfully attacked well. Accept PS money and get cut when the season is open and stay in shape waiting for next season or bet on yourself and get noticed.

I really do think about spring league QBs that have suited up in the NFL since debuting in their respective spring league. Walker, Heineke, Garrett Gilbert, Wolford, there is a world without spring football where there is a realistic chance that Walker is still bouncing PS to PS never taking a single rep in an NFL game, Gilbert never started an NFL game and Wolford didn’t either. Spring football may not always work but it does, and has been proven to, just gotta yk… have intangibles or an MVP season like Walker and Gilbert lol