A nice sign: Battlehawks open 10 more sections

United Football League (2024) Discussion
Rmbay
Running Back

A nice sign: Battlehawks open 10 more sections

Post by Rmbay »

Apparently the Battlehawks have opened 10 more sections in the 400 level due to high demand.  They could conceivably go over 40k for a game or two if this keeps up.  Don't know exactly how other teams are doing, but from some reports it all seems pretty encouraging for the league.

Battlehawks open 10 more sections
4th&long
MVP

Re: A nice sign: Battlehawks open 10 more sections

Post by 4th&long »

Rmbay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 pm Apparently the Battlehawks have opened 10 more sections in the 400 level due to high demand.  They could conceivably go over 40k for a game or two if this keeps up.  Don't know exactly how other teams are doing, but from some reports it all seems pretty encouraging for the league.

Battlehawks open 10 more sections

St Louis is ALL in.

And the AJ McCarron signing will only help more.
cyramd
Receiver

Post by cyramd »

Agreed that this is a great sing.  They haven't even started selling single game tickets yet.  The linked article mentions that this is the first time they are selling season tickets in the 400 level.  I think STL could hit an average of 40k per game this year.

4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

cyramd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 pm Agreed that this is a great sing.  They haven't even started selling single game tickets yet.  The linked article mentions that this is the first time they are selling season tickets in the 400 level.  I think STL could hit an average of 40k per game this year.

Very likley, especially with AJ McCarron signing and improved league position this yr.

Its also a warning of sorts to the smaller market teams, those towns need to do what they can to keep their teams.  That's Birm, Memphis, SA.  SA is most likely to succeed, being twice as big as Memphis or Birm.  The local governments, radio, tv and press all need to do their part.
Not like a threat, but its the reality, these are already small TV markets - so they need some reason to justify those teams.   And they certainly can succeed, but they better realize what's at stake.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 am
cyramd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:13 pm Agreed that this is a great sing.  They haven't even started selling single game tickets yet.  The linked article mentions that this is the first time they are selling season tickets in the 400 level.  I think STL could hit an average of 40k per game this year.

Very likley, especially with AJ McCarron signing and improved league position this yr.

Its also a warning of sorts to the smaller market teams, those towns need to do what they can to keep their teams.  That's Birm, Memphis, SA.  SA is most likely to succeed, being twice as big as Memphis or Birm.  The local governments, radio, tv and press all need to do their part.
Not like a threat, but its the reality, these are already small TV markets - so they need some reason to justify those teams.   And they certainly can succeed, but they better realize what's at stake.
San Antonio has shown a lot of potential, though prices will have to be kept affordable based on market history. They can get them to the gate, though it has historically needed some papering.

But Birmingham and Memphis, yeah. Both of them have some better institutional backing (local civic leaders in B'ham, FedEx giant Fred Smith in Memphis), the veil of attendance secrecy is going to lift quickly. Same in Michigan, where the real attendance at those Panthers games is going to, I suspect, disappoint for a top-10 market.

Because it's only a matter of time before the UFL returns to Florida.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:04 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 am

San Antonio has shown a lot of potential, though prices will have to be kept affordable based on market history. They can get them to the gate, though it has historically needed some papering.

But Birmingham and Memphis, yeah. Both of them have some better institutional backing (local civic leaders in B'ham, FedEx giant Fred Smith in Memphis), the veil of attendance secrecy is going to lift quickly. Same in Michigan, where the real attendance at those Panthers games is going to, I suspect, disappoint for a top-10 market.

Because it's only a matter of time before the UFL returns to Florida.
Agree on last point ie Florida.

Detroit is not a top 10 market... its 14, notably smaller than Dallas, Houston and DC, but still much bigger than the small 2.  Having seen the Mich games on TV I think their reported numbers will be fine. 

How will the teams rank in 2024 attendance - w/o a lot of input - I'd say: 

1) StL (obvious)
2) SA (sizable for a smaller market, and growing and w/o NFL/MLB)
3) DC
4) AR
5) Houston
6) Birm (smallest by far mkt in Metro area size, 1/7 the size of Dallas)
7) Memphis (about half the population of SA)
8) Mich

I put Michigan last because they are STILL only selling deposits for Season tickets, come on Mich get your act together.
Birm and Memphis may surprise to the upside.
Houston, now in Rice stadium, may surprise to the downside.  Though all 3 large markets (6mm+) should do fine.